A healthy church has high member engagement in church that shows people have become passionate about church life and ministry.
This post is part of a series looking at the five essential components of churches with healthy leadership culture. The posts are:
- Discipleship Pathway
- Community Clarity
- Member Engagement
- Administrative Excellence
- Leadership Effectiveness
What is Member Engagement?
Member Engagement in church measures the commitment of members, as shown through their attendance, connection, involvement, serving and giving. It reveals any need for strategies to increase the involvement and buy-in of attendees, and turn them from fringe, to fans, to followers.
Why is Member Engagement important?
Engagement in church is important because the church is people, so it is critical for leaders to not only know who is with you, but what that looks like.
What does healthy Member Engagement bring to a church?
- Increase in people being discipled, which impacts serving, giving and potential leaders.
- More people aware of and taking ownership of the mission, vision and values.
- Increased number of people to help serve ministries
- Increased number of people willing to take leadership roles
What happens if Member Engagement is lacking?
Low levels of engagement in church could mean the church does not have people excited about the church or its direction, and that there is an apathy or ‘Sunday only’ mentality. A pattern risks developing of declining attendance, serving, or giving.
What helps develop Member Engagement?
- Ministry feedback consistently involves volunteers, and not just senior leaders and staff.
- A culture of empowerment, i.e. most ministry opportunities are volunteer-led.
- Staff and senior leaders are accessible.
- Leaders proactively seek out ministry initiatives and ideas from members.
- Six-monthly ‘business meetings’ providing relevant pastoral and financial updates.
How healthy is the Member Engagement of your church?
Is it member-focused, as in, there is clear thinking and action-focused towards those people who are with you?
Is it engaging, as in, informative, exciting and beneficial to your people?
- Discover how the health of your current engagement levels impacts other areas of your church in my FREE Church Alignment Assessment.
- Learn how I help churches like yours discern and increase their engagement in church by going here.
- Download a FREE chapter of my book ‘Keys to Church Health’ by clicking here.
- Review the other Keys to Church Health by going here.