A healthy church has a discipleship pathway that helps people grow spiritually.
What is a Discipleship Pathway?
A structured approach to growth, proactively connecting members to opportunities and other people. It is a process that facilitates development for people through identifying where they are at in terms of spiritual maturity and provides opportunities for growth through service, leadership, training and for ministry.
Why is a Discipleship Pathway important?
The Great Commission! Spiritual growth happens most quickly and healthily in the context of discipleship relationships.
What does a healthy Discipleship Pathway bring to a church?
- It helps lead people along the process of alignment with the church mission, vision and values.
- It creates opportunities and places for increased engagement.
- It develops teams and unity, which helps ensure serving functions well.
- It identifies, equips and provides opportunities for new and upcoming leaders.
What happens if a Discipleship Pathway is lacking?
There will be a disproportionate number of immature believers within the church. Additionally, there will be no structured or proactive way members can connect with or benefit from opportunities for growth – they have to find it themselves.
What helps develop a Discipleship Pathway?
- A clear strategy to move people from new converts to mature, fully-devoted disciples.
- Majority of ministry leadership done by non-staff.
- Defined strategy to develop leaders through leadership opportunities, for both staff and volunteers.
- Senior leaders and staff all involved in work of discipleship.
- Easy for members to find out serving needs.
How healthy is the Discipleship Pathway of your church? Is it discipling people, as in, teaching and training them to do the works of Jesus? Is it a pathway, as in, a genuine process that recognises growth and gifting, and helps people progress and explore all that God has placed inside of them? To discover the health of your Discipleship Pathway, as well as the other keys to church health, contact me today.
This post contains sample content from my book ‘Keys to Church Health’. You can download a FREE chapter by clicking here.